Sunday, November 16, 2008



410 Pharaohs - 410 Funk (Strictly Rhythm/Ill Friction)

This has been out for a couple months now, and I hope people aren't sleeping on one of the most essential events in Baltimore music this year: a legendary MC teaming with two originators of the Baltimore club sound for a club/hip hop fusion album released nationally on a historic dance music label. Labtekwon rhymes, DJ Booman beats, Jimmy Jones hooks. It's got the singles "Hammerdance" and "Fresh," the original version of the track they did a remix of with David Banner, and "Big Girls," an update of the Jimmy Jones club music classic "Watch Out For The Big Girl." Michael Byrne reviewed the record in the City Paper recently and I interviewed Jimmy Jones for my club column on the CP website. I don't have to tell you it's worth checking out, but it's on iTunes, it's on Amazon, it's in record stores, go find it.

410 Pharaohs - "No More Sorrow" (mp3)
In a weird way, this is one of my favorite tracks on the album because it kind of sounds more like something you'd hear on a Labtekwon album, with the more introspective lyrics and the melodic beat, but it's still got an uptempo Baltimore club vibe, so it's really one of the best marriages of those 2 styles on here.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
So who introduced Jones and Booman originally? Someone random, or someone who went on to excel within the baltimore club world?
 
Why don't you just come out and tell us and identify yourself, before I start deleting any further anonymous comments on this boring topic?
 
You're a reporter who wants to censor his commentors? Come on, Shipley. Don't be a square.

I'm not a musician. I didn't introduce them. I just want to know who did. Someone's gotten a lot of mileage by that doubtful claim to fame, and if I say who it is (or who I am), that'll taint your answer.

If you don't know, you don't know, but can always call them up and ask them. In fact, you are one of the few people who I think could actually find this out.
 
Well, I showed Booman your comments and asked him if he knew anything about it, and this is what he had to say:

"Thats weird!!! I dont know who that could be and why it is such a big deal who introduced us. Jimmy and I have known each other way before the club days!! i lived on the alameda and jimmy and his family moved 2 doors down from my family when I was about 12 years old. There was no formal introduction, we met pretty much like all kids meet....just saying whats up and you end up throwing a football or something....lol I have no idea who that is but im very curious.....To be honest club wasnt even in the picture! The only music we did back then was rapping and djing. Jimmy was mc kj, I was dj grandmaster b and griff was dj freeze.....lol"

So, Anonymous, even the subject of your guessing game has no idea what you're talking about. It's put up or shut up time, either explain what you're getting at or stop filling my comments box with this lame blind item gossip.

And for the record, I don't want to censor anybody, but there's no reason I have to allow comments on my own site, it's just something I do because I like to get feedback. But if people are going to use my page as a platform for rumor mongering, then yeah, it makes me rethink the point of having a comments box.
 
Hooray Al! You've solved the mystery! Thanks so much, seriously. And coming right from Booman's mouth, too... amazing.
 
Well, considering that neither Booman nor I has any idea who else is supposedly getting "a lot of mileage" and "taking MAD credit" by saying otherwise, I'd say there's still something of a mystery here. So are you going to explain what the hell you're talking about or just keep acting like The Riddler? E-mail me privately if you have to, but please stop all the games.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?