Saturday, April 12, 2014
I posted on the City Paper's Noise blog about #Letspushthebutton, a new mixtape featuring Ogun, Los, Starrz and a ton of other Baltimore rappers.
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
In this week's Baltimore City Paper, I wrote a Rap Sheet column (about D. King, J Who? Worldwise, E-Dubble, Bink Baghdad and more) and The Short List.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
I wrote a few things in this week's Baltimore City Paper:
- An interview with Prodigy of Mobb Deep, who are performing at Baltimore Soundstage on Sunday and releasing their new album next week (funnily enough, last time Mobb Deep put out an album in 2006, I interview Havoc for The Hook-Up Magazine).
- A BPM dance music column with news about Say Wut, DJ Pierre, and the Club Mnemonic event this week at The Crown.
- The Short List, with a bunch of other good shows happening in Baltimore over the next week.
Tuesday, March 04, 2014
Last year, I was contacted by the Oxford University Press about authoring a reference article about Baltimore Club Music for the Oxford African American Studies Center, as part of a series of updates dealing with Baltimore. The article was finally published in February, and although it's generally conceived as a reference work for students, they have made the article available to the public here (the link won't last forever, but if anyone ever wants it put back up after it expires, let me know). It was really an honor to be asked to do this and to try and bring my knowledge about this subject to an academic setting and put it in a larger cultural context.
Labels: Baltimore club
Friday, February 21, 2014
In my first article for Noisey, I tracked down Semi, known for putting 6 second raps on Vine, in Edgewood, Maryland for his first interview ever.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
In this week's Baltimore City Paper, I wrote a Rap Sheet column, with news about Rome Cee and others, and The Short List.
Tuesday, February 04, 2014
I wrote The Short List and my dance music column BPM in this week's Baltimore City Paper.
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
I wrote a feature in the Baltimore City Paper about Greenspan and the album he released this week.
Also wrote The Short List this week as usual.
(photo by J.M. Giordano)
Sunday, January 12, 2014
I wrote about DJ AngelBaby's new Baltimore club mix Get Pumped, Vol. 2 for the City Paper's Noise blog.
Thursday, January 02, 2014
I wrote about Los's new mixtape with Mark Battles on the Baltimore City Paper's Noise blog.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
The January 1st edition of the Baltimore City Paper has my first Rap Sheet column of 2014, with news about E the poet-emcee and more, and my first Short List of 2014.
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
I wrote a feature in this week's Baltimore City Paper about Ellis's new album, The Education Of Ellis. Also wrote The Short List, as usual.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
This week the Baltimore City Paper published its annual Top Ten issue, and I wrote a lot of stuff both that appears in it, both top ten lists and otherwise:
- A feature on Blaqstarr, my third and by far most in-depth interview to date with one of the true geniuses of Baltimore club music.
- My regular BPM column on dance music, with news about Murder Mark (now Mighty Mark) and others.
- The Short List of concerts in Baltimore for the coming week.
- Lots and lots of top ten lists. I voted for the top ten albums of 2013 list, and wrote a blurb about the Elvis Costello & The Roots album, and also voted for the top ten local albums of 2013, and wrote a blurb about the Dungeonesse album. As we did last year, there were also a bunch of genre-specific lists, and once again I contributed a few: top ten hip-hop albums, top ten local hip-hop albums, top ten dance tracks and top ten Baltimore club tracks.
Thursday, November 21, 2013
I posted Ellis's new video "Misled" featuring Styles P. on the Baltimore City Paper site.
Sunday, November 17, 2013
In the first year or so of Government Names, it was a very different site, and a lot of the best and most popular posts were written by Dylan King about Houston rap. He hasn't written here, or anywhere else, in a long time, but Complex Magazine just got him to write a great list of The 10 Best DJ Screw Mixtapes, so I figured I should throw a link up here to let old Gov't Names heads know.
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
In this week's Baltimore City Paper, I wrote The Short List, and a new installment of my Rap Sheet column, with news about Test, Jay Wyse, Wombatt55, Kenton Dunson, and more.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
In this week's Baltimore City Paper, my BPM dance music column featured news about DJ Pierre, DJ AngelBaby, Buck Jones and more, and I also wrote The Short List as usual.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
I posted on the Baltimore City Paper site about OG Dutch Master's latest mixtape and video.
Saturday, October 12, 2013
I wrote on the City Paper website about Mack Scott's new EP, Still Mackin', which is pretty good and has kind of a Baltimore twist on southern pimp rap (there's even a screwed & chopped version). And dude just told me that his older brother is Mike Malachi, who I reviewed some music by years ago, small world.
Monday, September 30, 2013
I wrote on the Baltimore City Paper site about how R&B singer CJ Hilton, who I interviewed a few years ago, released the independent album This Is Me in August and has released an additional 20-something other new songs on Soundcloud in the weeks since then.