Sunday, September 07, 2008



Skarr Akbar - Suicide Sunday: Top 40 Freestylez (DJ Radio/Akbar Enterprize/U-Turn Ent./AGS/The Arabz Corporation)

It seems like for every Skarr Akbar mixtape I hear, there are 2 or 3 more that I miss, but I try to keep up as much as I can. I got this one from him at the same time as The Epidemic earlier this year, but I know he's got more current stuff out there. This is kind of a cool theme mixtape, though, picking out 40 freestyles from older mixtapes. I know I bitch a lot about mixtapes that rely on flows over industry beats, but Skarr's always excelled at those and I think it's fine for him to base a whole release around that. I do wonder if he actually went through his extensive archive and picked out the best of the best, or if this collection was just kinda thrown together. Maybe sometime I'll try to pick out my favorite Skarr freestyles and see how many of them are actually on here. Either way, this thing hangs together pretty well, I think because he's a producer he has a good ear for what beats he'd sound right on.

Skarr Akbar - "Show U How 2 Do This Son" (mp3)
One of my favorite old old Skarr freestyles, over a real underrated Just Blaze beat.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?