Wednesday, September 05, 2007

DJ Frie - Da Club Tip Vol 12: The Summer Rock Off

The True Vine in Hampden has one of the craziest collections of Baltimore club viny of any record store I've seen, especially because Scottie B. and DJ Booman have unloaded thousands of their records there in the past year. Their Bmore club CD section, however, is a lot smaller, a few mixes by Blaq Starr and others, and a whole bunch by this cat, DJ Frie. Practically this whole Da Club Tip series is in there, but I just picked up the most recent one I saw, and it has a lot of the big club music records from the past few months. There's a whole lot of Rod Lee on here, almost half the tracks, along with Say-Wut and Tigga and Johnny Blaze and others. I'm not too familiar with DJ Frie, I think he's tight with Samir. And according to a recent Scottie B. interview, either DJ Frie or Lil J was the first person to shout "down the hill" on a club record, before Rod Lee or anyone else, and that in itself makes him a real part of club history.

Rod Lee - "Understand" (mp3)
This is a classic track, at least 6 or 7 years old and one of my favorites from back when I started listening to Baltimore club music real heavily. The crazy thing is that this is that the version of this song on Rod Lee's Operation: Start-Up omits my favorite part of the song, the little spoken rap in the middle, and this DJ Frie mix is the first time I've found a version with all the lyrics on a CD. I love Rod's little rant in there, and still think about it anytime I hear someone hating on club music or getting shit twisted about it: "check this out, I'm getting sick and tired of everybody talkin' about Baltimore club this, Baltimore club that. If you don't understand the Baltimore club, keep ya mouth to yourself, don't get mad with me 'cause your brain can't tick fast enough to rock with me!"

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?