Thursday, July 13, 2006



Golden Seal - The Official Brown Sugar Mixtape (mixed and hosted by DJ Booman)

Jahli and Reflectson of Golden Seal have been doing their thing in Baltimore for a long time -- check out this City Paper article from way back in 2000 -- but it seems like they laid low for a while until recently. When I first heard about this mixtape, I thought it was just gonna be music by them with the occasional guest, but it's a real mixtape mixtape, with tracks by Ogun, Ab Rock, ShellBe RAW, and Brown F.I.S.H. The members of Golden Seal only appear on maybe a quarter of the tracks, and the whole thing is mixed by DJ Booman, who's also their live DJ. I caught Golden Seal's set at the African American Heritage Festival when I was there to interview Booman, and copped this mixtape. I was talking to Jason Torres about this CD the other day, and he was saying how didn't like the way the DJ chops up the tracks and scratches all over the songs on here. I kinda agree, that was my main criticism of the Under Sound compilation, too. I don't mind DJs doing their thing in the club or on the radio, but it gets a little distracting when you're listening to an underground artist and hearing their material for the first time.

Golden Seal - "Sistas Pimpin'" (mp3)
This is the new single that they shot a video for, real catchy anthem type thing. It was hot when they performed it at Afram and Booman blended it with "Big Pimpin'." I think that's Jimmy Jones from the Doo Dew Kidz on the hook.

Point 45 f/ Cojo and Big Sown - "We Made It" (mp3)
I'm not really familiar with any of the 3 rappers on this track, although Booman mentioned that Point 45 is an artist he's been working with, and Cojo has a couple solo tracks on here, but this is one of my favorite tracks on the mixtape. It's 6 minutes long but real low key, just dudes flowing over a hot soul sample track.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:
i think that is OOH of Brown F.I.S.H. on sistahs pimpin
 
ah, OK. I guess I just assumed it was Jimmy Jones since he was onstage with them at Afram.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?