Thursday, January 13, 2005

Comp - "It's Official"
One of those nervous violin lines that you seem to hear everywhere lately, like "Still Tippin" or that Alicia Keys song, "come journey through the home of the Ravens / I can show you how my heathens be behavin' / you watch The Wire and you think you know / about that quatro uno oh! no! / and if so and you visited / no show can show you how vivid it is". You can hear it on the front page of his website, but it cuts off after the first verse. The 2nd verse gets into industry shit, meetings with L.A. Reid, taking too long to follow up on the "Run" buzz, actually a lot of stuff we talked about in my interview. I wrote a whole thing about his last mixtape that I've been sitting on for a while, I'll probably finally post that soon.

Hulio Shallone f/ Paula Campbell - "This Body" / Paula Cambell - "Let Me Find Out" (remix)
Hit Em Hard Records / Blackbyrd Music collab, Hulio from west Bmore following up that "This Is My Hood" hit with a decent club jam with Paula and it sounds like one of the producers from her album, kind of weird hook that goes from a bunch of sexy "you gonna like this body" lines and then suddenly turning tough with "don't make me have to hurt somebody". I might've gotten the title wrong but that's alright because I misspelled Hulio's name the first time I posted about him. / One of the better tracks from Who Got Next? with a new beat, open hi-hats and low octave piano switched out for cod Just Blaze beat with cowbells and buzzing synth bass, more Paula getting gully, "let me find out you're the one trying to steal my man, let me find out you're the one that keeps on calling him".

Bossman f/ Chinky - "Stay Together"
"Off The Record" is still ruling Baltimore radio and sounds more amazing every time I hear it, but this is starting to bubble as the inevitable next single. Not really one of my favorites off Law & Order (which should be another forthcoming post) but it's an ok love jam. Lilting, ringing guitar part on the verses that reminds me of "I Love You" by Faith Evans, and then a big syrupy string swell under the diva chorus. It's pleasant and it sounds solid enough that if a mainstream artist came out with this it would be huge, but to follow up a record as great and a real as "Off The Record" it's a little underwhelming.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?