Wednesday, December 12, 2007



Mario - Go! (J Records)

I remember the summer five years ago that Mario's first single "Just A Friend (2002)" popped off, and it was a pretty exciting time to listen to the radio in Baltimore, him and B. Rich and Davon and Tim Trees and Nature's Problem and all these local people had songs that everybody was jammin'. I wasn't even sure who was just local until Mario and B. Rich turned up with videos all on BET and everywhere. And even though B. Rich kinda faded out and noone else got any real national attention, Mario kept at it and pushed 3 singles off that album ("C'mon" is still my shit) and then came back a couple years later with "Let Me Love You," which was a huge #1 hit all over the world, and I don't even know how many people out there even knew he was from Baltimore or cared, but it was pretty cool that he got that far.

Mario didn't end up having any other big hits after "Let Me Love You," and his 3rd album was delayed for over a year while they kept releasing different singles and trying to get one to stick, and it was finally released this week. So it's kinda bittersweet that probably the most successful urban artist from Baltimore since Dru Hill is still kinda struggling to stay on top in the R&B game. But I still think he's a pretty talented singer, especially for his age, and copped the album this week, and it's pretty dope, I hope people in his hometown are picking it up and enjoying it, production by Polow Da Don and Timbaland and Akon and Mr. Collipark and others.

Mario - "Skippin'" (mp3)
Man, this joint is catchy as hell, I don't know why they don't release one of the uptempo songs as a single. I love those high notes on the verses.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I bout it today. I fucks wit Mario. I met homie b4 when his first album came out,and i support him not only because he is from baltimore, but b/c he is a good artist. he makes good songs. and if clive davis did'nt bail out on j records, homie's albums woulda been blew up.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?