Tuesday, October 10, 2006





Jon Boe - Before The Storm

Even if you haven't heard of Jon Boe, you're probably familiar with his brother D.O.G., who signed to Universal Records a couple months ago. Jon Boe has appeared on some of D.O.G.'s songs, too, like "Rock Ready" and my personal favorite, "Soldier." He put out this solo mixtape a while back, I think there might be a 2nd or 3rd volume of Before The Storm out already but if there is I haven't seen it. This mixtape is hosted by someone called "The Blackest Nigger Ever," which is just someone's voice distorted so it sounds all low and fucked up. The whole mixtape is on a really raw, aggressive tip, and some if it's actually kind of hard to listen to sometimes, even though Jon Boe sounds kinda laid back as an MC. I don't know if he has a MySpace page, but I found the above video for his song "Cheers" on MySpace.

Jon Boe - "C.R.E.A.M." (mp3)
You might expect a jack of the Wu Tang joint, or even Prince's "Cream," but instead it's a sample of a different Prince song, "Adore," which I just posted a track of Labtekwon rapping over the other day. I like the way that sample is chopped.

Jon Boe - "Transformers" (mp3)
Transformers was my favorite show when I was a little kid, and it's kinda crazy how many rappers have dropped Transformers references in their lyrics or sampled Transformers in their beats.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?