Monday, June 13, 2005

Now, I don't really care about this record, and the last thing anyone needs is another blog talking about it, but it's come to my attention that the Interscope re-release of M.I.A.'s Arular features a version of the song "URAQT" that samples Rod Lee's "You Big Dummy". I mentioned this before, when it was just on a mixtape, but now, for the first time, a Rod Lee beat is on a major label album, and he's not given any credit whatsoever. Apparently the liners give a co-writing credit to Quincy Jones (for the "Sanford and Son" theme sample), and a production credit to Diplo, but no mention of Rod Lee. And it's clearly not on any 'replayed elements' thing or just the same sample, it's his beat. I'm not really about stirring controversy or trying to get someone sued, or saying it just to hate on all that Hollertronix stuff. And to make it entirely an issue of legality would be a little hypocritical, since Rod used an uncleared sample in the first place. I'm just saying, Diplo's on some shady Trackmasters/Irv Gotti beatjacking shit, and I'd love to know what Rod thinks about it. (Inaccurate hearsay; see comments for clarification. I can admit when I'm wrong.)

Comments:
From the horse's (i.e. diplo's) mouth:

"you big dummy was made by swift and then bought buy Dj patrick (who is credited as the producer).
you think that interscope aint got their shit together.
total buyout of the track and all money to quincy jones ..
i only get some cred for putting the accapella down and then flak for people that dont read liner notes"

"dudes .. just because all yall downloaded the MIA album doesnt mean the credits arent on here.

from the cd jacket you blogger faggits.-

writted by maya / Q jones
published by zomba/ warner chappell
originally produced by k.w. griff for quiet records co produced by diplo
contains a sample from 'sanford and son.'"

-e
 
uh, thanks for clearing it up. I don't have a copy of the record so I was given misinformation about the liner notes. and Bmore club mix CDs frequently attribute tracks to the wrong producers, so I was mistaken about that too.
 
I gotta respect Diplo for putting cats on blast and standing up for himself. Nowadays with the internet, dudes don't even buy the music then feel comfortable running off at the mouth and spreading falsehoods about ish they really know nothing about and I'm not just referring to this post either. It's rampant all over. At least folks owed up to their mistakes this time around though.
 
well, he posted that on a message board and someone just quoted him here. but yeah, I'm not one to throw rocks and then hide my hand, so even though I fucked up and it's embarrassing, I just left it up. plus I think it's funny that he calls people "faggits".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?