Saturday, January 15, 2005

DNA & Def Jam presents Comp: Bang-A-Rang Gang Mixtape, Vol. 1

Intro
Produced by Stay Getting, "YES YES!! Motherfuckers, YES YESS!! YES YES!! Motherfuckers, YES YESS!! Yo, it's your boy Comp, I know a lot of you wanna know what the name means, well, allow me to break it down, Clever On Many Perspectives, and that's how I'm reppin', OH! Bmore! And I ain't gonna talk you to death, I'll let the motherfuckin' name do the rest"

Strip Down
One of the 2 Track Boyz productions, funny sounding high pitched loop, just one verse and chorus that they stop halfway through and run back a 2nd time.

Ghostface interlude
"bangin' on niggas out this bitch, nah mean, you know how we do, we gon' bang, we ain't bloods, we ain't crips, y'nah mean, we just dipped in all black right now, right now y'all niggas is fuckin' with the Bang-A-Rang Gang, y'nah mean, it's on man, when you hear that you hear nothin' but hammers, man, and ain't no real live 3rd grade shit when I say it like that neither, man, on some Bang-A-Rang shit, man, and we ain't no motherfuckin' gang, man, we the motherfuckin'...we that Tang, nigga, y'nah mean, it's real like that, and this is Ghost, I'm out this bitch, one."

Eye Problem
Weird clicky drums, hostile hook with Track Boyz whispering: "now what the fuck are you lookin' at?", Comp: "what you got, eye problems?"

Beanie Sigel interlude
scratchy voice over the phone, constant voices in the background: "State Property, motherfuckers, I'm chillin' with my man Comp, yeah right, I'm drunk, I don't give a fuck... but Comp don't mean you get shit for free, motherfucker, Philly and Bmore, you motherfuckers, I'm out here with the police, nah mean, I ain't really with the police, but they out here and I'm watchin', they got holsters in they guns n shit, I don't give a fuck about they glocs, cause my man got a mac eleven in the truck, they got 32 in the clip and one in the pipe, for whoever want it. fuck all y'all niggas man, this is Mack Mittens and I'll be out the end of June! you motherfuckin' bitches, the fuck outta here, nigga, Broad Street Bully holla at me, nigga, get your weight up you lil nigga"

Get Ya Mind Right f/ Notorious B.I.G.
I like this beat more every time I hear it, it fits perfectly with the ridiculously awesome Biggie verse, from Aaron Hall's "Why You Tryin' To Play Me", and one of Comp's better verses. it's kind of a shame this isn't for the Biggie duets album.

Get Em f/ Layzie Bone
It sounds like there's 2 or 3 different drum kits going on in this beat that are all slightly out of sync with each other, piccolo snare fills flipping in and out of time with the hi-hats and the booming distant snares.

Harder
uh huh, yeah right, Comp
[vocal sample: harder, harder, hard, hard, harder]
listen...
I was tryin' to make money, now I'm [makin' it]
haters really wanna take it but they [makin' it harder]
(right, yeah, you see where I'm goin' with this one)
I just got in the game and I'm a starter
I'm a rookie playin' with pros, so I'ma play [harder]
(yeah, you got that right, I got to)
jealous ones hate me 'cause I'm [makin' it]
you dudes comin' soft but Comp is [makin' it harder]
I was destined to shine to get where I'm at, with the help of my father
when I pushed, he pushed [harder]
(yeah, for real, man...Pockets, I love you for that, man...listen)
even though I'm on top now I'm [makin' it]
I'm still quick to off ya, stop [makin' it harder]
seperate yourself from controversy, you can learn from Shawn Carter, R. Kelly made it [harder]
you never did drugs til you started [makin' it]
you high on your own supply, now you [makin' it harder]
(you only killin' yourself, man, that's all)
this is textbook and Comp is the author, I can show you a easy way when things get [harder]
(believe it or not, believe it or not, man, c'mon man)
you got a deal but you still not [makin' it]
labels shelf your project, [makin' it harder]
(damn!)
you filled with sin, you cleansed your soul, wack off to them devilish thoughts, always make it [harder]
I'm fakin' 'em, shakin' 'em, bakin', I'm [makin' it]
I'm ten steps ahead of you, [makin' it harder]
(how you gon' catch me when I'm that far, man?)
writin' them rhymes, the music I was [makin' it]
my first CD got outdated, [makin' it harder]
(shit, that was a...that was a classic, man)
some didn't want this to happen, me goin' far with rappin', now I'm laughin'
pocketful of dead guys I don't even know
I secured my family life with a flow
I embarked on tons of cash, which made everybody hate me on the ave., it's so sad
you see the ones that you used to chill wit, and now they wanna kill shit, and you the target
and you're the youngest Def Jam artist, rap style flawless, I'ma eat regardless
they talk sideways, calm your comments
I earn my respect so you pay me homage
like it or love it, love it or not, I now rate for the hood, I can write up a block
so watch and learn, wait ya turn
the game is hard and you ain't half as firm
it's fucked up how things really are
just when shit gets hard somehow it gets [harder]
(it's cool, though...'cause I'm gonna make it, man...by any means necessary...one day or the other...believe it or not...I'm gonna make it...it's just my destiny...Comp)
[harder]
[makin' it harder]

I'm Tired
Cartoonish vocal sample going "I'm tirrrrrrrrred" for the hook, kinda clunky piano beat by Ray Lugar from the Stay Hi camp, but lyrically I think it's Comp at the best I've heard from him so far, just being honest and real about the shit in his life, no shouting:

verse 1: I'm tired of being at the point in my life where I'm politically correct but I can't get right, listen, I'm in the club on Saturday, the church on Sunday, and hello Monday, it's fucked up, I'm throwin’ my body in hell just for a hard-on, I notice I'm changin' the channel every time God on, I say they frauds but I pull scams, that's my reason for turnin' to MTV Jams, damn, I ain't gonna make it, am I? niggas havin' babies every day by Brenda, and I done went to war a couple times, I remember, just like it was yesterday, way back in the winter, a natural born sinner seekin' God for some help, but I can’t find him when I'm searchin' for myself, but I’m so tired and I'm gettin' more weak, I'm smokin' more weed and I'm catchin' less sleep, but you would never know [I'm tirrred]

verse 2: I'm tryin' to get my mind right, cause I'm not sure I'm ready for this limelight, for real, I'm gettin' lazy like [?], not takin' control of this career opportunity (on some real shit) as well as I should be, I ain't goin' hard at like I could be, honestly I wanna ride around, fuck and watch movies, all day every day like usually, I'm spendin' less time in the studio, spendin' more time in the booty hole of a ho, it's like I took a deal for granted, tryin' to be Michael but I ain't workin' hard as Janet, DJs need drops for they mixtapes, shit I need to come out with a new mixtape, but as long as the shit waits, the more and more my album switch dates, for God sakes, niggas, [I'm tirrred]

verse 3: [I'm tirrred], but I would never doze off, until I'm layin' on that tray with my clothes off, until that time come I gotta stay awake, like the owl on that tree branch by the lake, cause I'm not perfect from a long shot or even a foul line, I'm tired of a [?] bein' trial time, when I'll say one thing and do another, dumb shit like spazz out on my mother like I don't love her, and that's somethin' she'll ever forget, that I can't take back like clothes that don't fit, shit, I gotta live with that like a handicap, I can’t end it and give that back, some things you gotta learn on your own, when you young and hard headed tryin' to be so grown, I feel stressed out, leave me alone, you can hear it by the voice in my tone, [I'm tirrred]

Rep Til I Die f/ Lloyd Banks
Not a real collabo, just the pre-Hunger For More mixtape joint "Gz Up", with one Lloyd verse and then Comp and some Bang-A-Rang dudes coming on verses and their own version of the hook.

In The V.I. (V.I.P.)
This is kind of cod-crunk like what the Federation and them are doing, not really trying to sound like Lil Jon, but doing their own flip on the wilding out in the club shit, the beat's really good, the best of the many Spit-1 productions on here, hope he's holding onto this one for the album.

My Thoughts interlude
"it's your boy, Comp, man, never forget that, make sure you get that album, My Thoughts, y'nah mean, when I release that upon you, My Thoughts comin' real soon, so make sure you check that out, boy from Bmore, you know the fuckin' name"

Comp (What's My Name?
from the Def Jam:P Fight For NY soundtrack, ok song with a "Jigga My Nigga" flip on the hook.

Jim Jones interlude
"Bodymore, Murderland, that's how we say that, Comp? yeah, nigga, ain't nothin' changed, nigga, we down in Bodymore, Murderland, they know how I get down down there, too, nigga, it's capo status, nigga, shouts to my dude Comp, he comin' up in the game, and he bitin' niggas, ya heard? no homo, nigga. we will eat ya food. holla at me."

Harm City freestyle
Over that awesome beat from the Fab/Blaze "Can't Let You Go" rmx, doin' some weird ass creative similes and metaphors: "yeah I know you got cream like a genital boil, rims lookin' like chopped up aluminum foil, that's because you sell the stuff that look like milk when it spoil"

I'm Dancin'
One of a couple of self-produced joints on this, Comp can do beats himself alright but this is just kind of a goofy track overall, fast tempo and silly synth sounds and a funny high voiced flow. Hearing him on stuff like this and the "I'm Tired" beat and you can almost see him being one of those indie rappers that alternates between silly and sincere when he's not in gully shouting mode.

Outro
"ay man, whenever you in Bmore, make sure you slide down Edmonson and Mt. Royal, holla at my man Rome, he got you, Sounds In The Hood, you know where it's at, man, fuck, it's in the hood, stupid nigga...and yo anyway, yo, shoutout to my man Backland, he was in a bad car accident, y'nah mean, he gettin' better, he healin, too, man, yo shoutout to him too, but anyway, this is the outro, now play that shit again"

Run (rmx) f/ Lil Wayne
Last winter on I think another DNA mixtape there was a "Run" remix that was just different freestyles over the beat cobbled together, Raekwon and Weezy and Comp (a different verse from his one on the original), here's that on yousendit. This is pretty much the same thing but with the choruses cut out and both Comp verses and Wayne and no Rae.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Congrats on the NY Times mention in Kelefa's Sunday playlist column (link not up yet or at least I couldn't find it).
 
A Gov't Names mention?
 
here it is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/arts/music/16play.html?oref=login&pagewanted=2
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?