Monday, August 02, 2004

Ciara f/ Petey Pablo - "Goodies"

Post-"Yeah!", it's probably a given that R&B vocals can work over Lil Jon beats (actually even before that, since last summer it seemed like every DJ was putting R&B a cappellas over the "Damn" instrumental), but this is really pushing the limits of that premise, and not in a good way. It's got that portamento synth whistle that damn near every Lil Jon beat has in the background, except it's mixed way up in the foreground with not much else to really anchor it besides a weird lo-fi sounding guitar sample every now and then. And then you've got a thin-voiced chick singing a shrill, slight melody about her own naughty bits. In other words, it's "Milkshake" all over again. My first thought upon hearing this was: wow, this is horrible. My second thought: ILM is going to go nuts over this garbage. And sure enough, I ran a search and they already had.

T.I. f/ Jazze Pha - "Let's Get Away"

It's kind of funny how the T.I./Flip beef fired up right at the same time they both dropped slick R&B crossover singles, so that while they're all over mixtapes threatening each other, they're all over TV and radio getting all cuddly with the ladies. If these songs were the tiebreaker in deciding the winner, I'd side with T.I., although I like the weird alternating snare/rim tap beat on "Sunshine". Flip was on 106&Park making fun of T.I. for making 4 videos for an album that hasn't gone platinum, but really I admire that kind of perseverence. It's so rare these days for a rap album to get a prolonged push, usually the 2nd single is out by the time the album's in stores and 3-6 months later the label gives up on any further promotion regardless of whether it sold well, but T.I. kept at it and blew up on the 3rd single. And while this is a pretty 'safe' follow up, it's really grown on me. I like the 3rd verse best. The hook is an interpolation of the same Aretha song that Cam'ron used on a single just a year ago, but at least it's used a little differently.

Untouchables f/ Benzino - "Relationships"

Speaking of Cam, it's odd that Benzino hates on almost every rapper with a real career, but his crew is all really on some Diplomats dickriding shit, shouting "what's really good" over Heatmakerz beats. Benzino really bites Pac's flow on this (although I guess it's supposed to be obvious, since he's wearing a 2Pac shirt in the video), and actually has the best verse on the song, which should give you an idea of how bad the other guys are.


Comments:
nah, I haven't heard that. I think I posted about an Olivia/50 song in the archives somewhere here, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?