Sunday, May 23, 2004

Jadakiss - "The Champ Is Here"

Green Lantern putting the 3rd verse from "Time's Up" over a new beat with a sample of Will-Smith-as-Muhammad-Ali banging a bongo and saying "the champ is here" in that movie. Apparently Jada liked it so much that he's putting it on the album with new verses, I haven't heard the new version yet. I hope when it comes out officially it's labelled "featuring Will Smith". Or better yet, "featuring the Fresh Prince". Anyway, it beats the hell out of the original Dre/Storch beat for "Time's Up", which sounded way too much like "Poppin' Them Thangs".

The Roots - "Don't Say Nuthin'"

Hypothetically, I'm all for the Roots conforming to standard hip hop production a little more, but getting a wack beat from their boy Scott Storch and mumbling a shitty hook over it is not a good look.

And y'know, I really don't want to come down on Storch, I swear. Because honestly, I got love for any geeky white dude who can get in the game and do beats with famous rappers, that's like my dream right there. But I'm getting tired of all the hype he gets playing keyboards (and allegedly ghostproducing) for Dre and Timbo, especially when his own beats are either bland as hell (Ja's "Clap Back") or jack Tim's style (Bleek/Jay-Z's "Murda Murda") or Dre's style (Knoc'turnal's "The Way I Am", which also jacks one of Just Blaze's signatures). Plus, some of Chronic 2001 aside, I don't really like Dre's beats from the last few years that people are so quick to give SS credit for anyway. You can tell me all day why "Family Affair" or "In Da Club" are good beats, but they just sound slick and bland to me.

But, Scott Storch's production company is called Tuff Jew Productions, which is fucking badass.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?