Wednesday, May 19, 2004

"but the way he says it it comes out like 'buttons, buttons, buttons' like he's being a twee thug"

Joe Budden - "The Growth" aka 'Def Jam diss'

Supposedly the title track from Joe's 2nd album, but I'll be surprised if Def Jam presses up a bunch of CD's with this song on it, if they don't put him on the shelf entirely after this. It's not really one of those typical beef tracks with over the top animosity and ridiculous threats, he really sounds more confused and remorseful than angry, like he doesn't really know what went wrong or who exactly to blame. After that silly ass beef with Game, it's likely that he's just doing it for publicity, but it's still an intriguing listen.

As per that Kay Slay/LL track, I'm a sucker for introspective behind the scenes industry talk, and this one delivers big time with the details. He airs it all out, the underwhelming album sales after the huge single and the next-big-thing hype, the medical problems with his vocal cords, getting tossed off the 112 single. Meanwhile, Def Jam keeps backpedalling, coming up with ridiculous excuses to explain the disappointing sales. Granted, Joe's album was pretty boring, and the cause of it was largely songs that sound like this, but this time he actually has something interesting to talk about.

My favorite version is on The Passion And The Heist mixtape, where Sunny talks over the intro: "Joe Budden, I'm a fuck you up the next time we go to the bowling alley, stop talking that shit in the streets, like you made a fuckin' score of 100, you crazy, it's closer to like 79, 89, something like that, and that's not shit to brag about".

You are now listening to the growth (x2)/"Pump It Up" came out, was a hit all over the country/and so I figured all over they'd want me/yeah, the buzz was there, the feeling was timely/and Kev said that he would put the whole building behind me/yeah, the whole office daps me freely/and Mr. Cohen always seems so happy to see me/I'm treated like a new man, must've got a facelift/this is what I dreamed of, welcome to the matrix/BET rated me next, we comin' up Jersey/airtime, MTV buzzworthy/if that ain't make things final/the song played all throughout the World Series and the NBA finals/wrap up your album, Joey, it's goin' out now/only problem is my voice is goin' out now/doctor said I need a surgery to fix it/and it's somethin' goin' wrong, it could be permanently twisted/now that's something I can't afford/so steroid shots in my abs just so I can record/all that talkin' was ruinin' my cords/and on top of it all, now Def Jam wants your boy on tour/this is important, you can't back out/it's good exposure and 112's comin' back out/I'm on the 2nd single, about to shine/June 10th, yep, it's time/but wait, something must be wrong with the SoundScan/that's when it all started to go down, man/am I wrong or what here?/2 Fast soundtrack did great, and my song was on there/are things the way it seems/they even have a commercial pumpin' it up with my face on the screen/had to change my 2nd single cuz there's two 112-Budden's, but theirs turned into 112-Luda/Lil Jon called me for the "Get Low" remix/but Lyor was goin' through some TVT shit/then they went and kept Joe off the Roc The Mic Tour/somebody probably thought Joe would rock the mic more/left the country, did a single with J.Lo/but with my luck I knew Columbia would say no/radio hates "Fire", nah, they won't try it/but they love that Rah Digga song that sounds just like it/wanna keep me under, dog, I'm the underdog/and they don't want y'all to see up under the fog/so y'all, tell they man in the hood/gold album, one single, I'd say I'm doin' hella damn good/listen here, Def Jam, are you deaf, man?/politics aside, please don't interject, fam/listen to my shit, now listen to the rest, damn/that's without a yes ma'am/three hundred thou budget, I checked, fam/did that the last time and I still repped, damn/MH thank you, Pharrell thank you, Jim Jones thank you, Lil Mo thank you/sad part now is when I walk by/and I see Mr. Cohen, he can't even say hi/but I'm a new man, I feel like I got a facelift/this is what I dreamed of, time to tackle the matrix...


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?